Tuesday 10 March 2009

"I think too much."

A phrase I've heard from people, and one I find unsettling. I personally don't subscribe to this notion. So in disbelief I asked "can someone think too much?"

Many said yes, bringing up the case of spending too much time thinking about things that don't matter, things described as unnecessary, meaningless, irrelevant. I agree, this exists. Anxiety, for example. Still others argued no, explaining that a case like anxiety isn't too much thinking, just thinking into a dead end.

Nonetheless I don't think it's in these cases that people say "I think too much." That's because to say so means "I know I think too much." So the real question is, "how can someone know they think too much?" Doesn't make sense.

Everyone seems to agree "thinking too much" is a bad thing. Kind of like "driving too fast." So if you're speeding down a road at 90mph and you get the feeling you're driving too fast, why don't you simply ease up on the pedal? If you don't, that's probably because you don't really believe 90mph is too fast, otherwise you wouldn't keep driving that fast. You simply can't say "I drive too fast" and believe it, because you absolutely have the power to drive slower.

So can a person say he thinks too much? I say if he really believes that, and doesn't know how to fix it, then he probably isn't thinking enough.

No comments: