Tuesday 30 December 2008

i have a long history of giving crummy gifts...

December 25, 2008

I'm thankful for the gifts I got last night. The mom furnished me with her annual underwear package, complete with top and bottom thermals distinct only in color from the ones my brother was given. This year she threw in a hat, which I hastily ripped the tag from, only to be immediately relieved by the fact that the name Mervyn's guaranteed it non-returnable.

My brother took pictures, complete with the Canon clunk of that bulky flash. The digital age in all its advances is still easily put to shame by mom's 28-exposure wonder. She has two identical ones, one she bought to replace the other, which she had sworn was stolen by one of her mischievous three children (I'm the youngest) despite our best alibis, only to be found later under the sink. That was her doing, and no, I don't know why.

I chose not to give gifts this year. I told my family right at the beginning of our gift-giving rituals, and showed them the recent video I was inspired by (thanks Joe, Suj) . I mean, I always hear about the needs that need to be met in third-world countries, but I can always find a way to feel like "now isn't the right time" to respond. But how could I say no to now? I feel like a big fat hypocrite for entertaining and regurgitating all that talk of Christmas spirit and giving over receiving when it all ends up being poured into pretty paper and half-hearted thoughtfulness. Plus I have a long history of giving pretty crummy gifts:

Top 3
3. Purple and Gold Fuzzkin; To Patrick Villar, Christmas 2002
2. Pepperidge Farm Sausalito Cookies; To Mom, Christmas 2005
1. Marilyn Monroe CD from Rite-Aid; To Matt Rorabaugh, Secret Santa 2004

This year I just let World Vision decide. I've never given a goat before. But more than anything I resolved to worship this year.

"It started with worship."

My favorite Christmas song has got to be "O Holy Night." It really puts everything into focus. More than the night being silent, peaceful, humble...above all, the night is holy. Above all is who came down. In relation to the universe. In relation to mankind. That night - whether it be December 25th, April 6th, or Maugustber 38th - is the night mankind had hope of once more having a relationship with God the father through the much later sacrifice of Christ the son.

"In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." - John 1:4-5

The Conspiracy: success

1 comment:

SuJ said...

what's a fuzzkin?

and a rite-aid cd, classic. haha