Tuesday 10 February 2009

Car.

February 8, 2009
3:48AM

Groggily driving down the culdesac I find a sigh of relief is all I can utter to rejoice in yet another safe trip home. I also find something else. A car parked on the driveway. Not an uncommon occurrence, out of the many household cars already populating the private parking space we always figure a way to make room for visitors who don't want to be ticketed at 2:00AM for parking on the curb (probably the most Irvine thing about Walnut). Whoever it belongs to, they haven't had it for long, since there's no license pla--wait a minute...you're not....shoot.

My dad and I had been talking about buying a car, which mainly involved him getting me to answer the pestering dealership people calling us and replying to emails saying we're not ready to make a decision yet. I guess my dad didn't send me the memo that he was ready. I was much too tired to jump up and down.

Things I was also "much too" to jump up and down:
1. old
2. alone
3. outside

I'm happy the day is finally here. It's not the feeling of independence; I didn't purchase it, and I'll mostly be using it to drive to work with my dad (the latter being reason why I can't do the former without the help of the superior). It's not the feeling of possession; we haphazardly switch around cars depending on who needs to go where and when. It's not the feeling of reward; I definitely don't feel deserving of something like this.

It's grace. So much grace, from my dad, from my mom (who refused to enjoy buying a new car until she test drove this one), and from God. Grace from God to do His work. I often contemplate the burden I put on others, making them pick me up and drop me off, and the limit that creates in my ministry, though I do love riding in cars with other people. It's where I have some of them most memorable conversation.

The car is by far my chatroom of choice.

I can't wait to pick people up, to say "yeah I'll take you," to let people depend on me this time around. I can only imagine the future conversations. I could go off on how meek I've always felt having to ask people every single week to take me here and there, the need to ask a favor just so I can get from point A to B. Now I get to do that for others. No distance too far in theory, but not in gas money. Nonetheless I'm excited to see how far I can go. Who wants to come with?

5 comments:

helen said...

PRAISE GOD!!!!! yes, the car facilitates many great convos for you :) yayayyayy jurian this day has come!

lody_dody said...

i do! i do! let me know when you're outside. Praise God indeed. :)

Unknown said...

Praise God in many ways for your car.

Hazel said...

we need to dedicate your car!! ptL!!

Jacquie said...

Praise God! I'm happy that you're happy in the Lord.