Sunday 4 January 2009

Another 2009 first.

First "Julian story" of 2009:

So I walk into In-n-out, and I see my friend Bryan in through the glass door. I met him through Allen, and so I know him more indirectly than directly, but we're good enough friends. Our eyes meet and I continue to stare. It's awkwardness of choice, because sometimes I make it awkward on purpose to avoid making it awkward by accident. I pass the doorway and walk straight to him, offering a handshake. He obliges, and immediately after I hear "Julian!" I look to my right to find middle-to-high school friend Patty Lee. I didn't know they knew each other, but I guess it's a Korean thing. Next to spot is Charlene's ex-beau Jiun, as they point to the other booth to reveal a waving Steffi and Mike. It's crazy to find Bryan amongst all my Walnut friends. It's like a Walnut High school reunion, plus Bryan...who went to Rowland...and...actually...isn't the guy in front of me whose hand I just shook. In fact, it's Patrick Sun, someone I never actually spoke to before.

It's cool; he wasn't freaked out or asked "do I know you?" (<- I've been asked before amidst similar handshakes) so I assume that among all our mutual friends he at some point learned who I was. Yes, the sudden realization hitting my face, followed by attempts to conceal the rapid neuron-firing and look like i'm paying attention to the conversation, is very much cool...

1 comment:

helen said...

hahahha first embarrassing moment of 2009!