Thursday 2 July 2009

"I have slight OCD"

You’ve heard the phrase. Heck, you’ve probably said it.

OCD, right? So first you got Obsessive, noting an overwhelming passion; then Compulsive, characterized by an irresistible urge; and last, and most important, Disorder. Now people can very well have bad habits and idiosyncrasies, but for something to actually cross the threshold into disorder, you have to pretty much have a complete loss of control.

So how can any of this be slight? You wouldn't say “I have a slight disorder” and really mean it. That would be slightly ridiculous. Of course you don’t mean it, lest you actually make light of a mental condition complete with assorted damages. It’s just a saying. But why say it? Well, isn't it much more fascinating to say that "I absolutely have to have the hangers all facing the same way" than to just utter "I like having my hangers face the same way?" Calling it "slight OCD" makes you quirky without the drag of having to confess a real problem -- and really, it makes you just a bit more interesting, doesn’t it? I’ll elaborate more in a bit (stick around).

“I have slight ADD” encounters a similar problem.

You mean you just have a hard time paying attention? Okay, you’re human, we’ve established that much. More specifically, you’re a young, able-bodied person of moderate affluence living in what others have termed as the most selfish generation of all time. That much would make anyone struggle at having to pay attention to others. But tell you what: If Angelina Jolie comes up to you and tells you she has something really important to tell you so listen up, and you still manage to instead stare at the crow trying to snag an old taco from the trash can behind her, you got me. Otherwise, perhaps you can just work harder to pay attention to others.

I’m certainly not trying to deny anyone the right to claim a disorder, but what I want to make real is the danger that our pride can be. We are, by nature, self-centered people, and while we have the power in our character to fight it, sometimes it just feels good to be comfortable in our pride (especially when we know we can get away with it). For those of you who are comfortable, I can't offer anything. But to those who value humility, and strive for it, know it takes a keen and scrupulous eye to see through excuses for the problems of the heart.

"He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them His way."

- Psalm 25:9

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your post kinda reminds me of the "I'm-so-random" fad which annoys me to no end. And that's right, pride is the underlying issue. All about me, me, me.